2017 UTME – The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has raked in N8.5 billion from the sale of forms this year.
The Board says an unprecedented number of 1.7 million candidates registered for the 2017 UTME.
The registration period for this year has been reduced from six months to one month. After the end of registration for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) on Friday, May 5, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) made a total of N8.5 billion from the sale of forms.
Edunaij.com.ng collected an unprecedented number of 1.7 million candidates registered for the exam.
Fabian Benjamin, JAMB Head of Information, who said that the number of registered candidates “has never been recorded in the history of the board,” noted that JAMB had set up adequate facilities to accommodate the upturn in the number of candidates.
Benjamin, who spoke in a telephone interview with the Punch on Friday, May 5, noted that the board would lead the 2017 UTME on 13 May 2017.
He said: “In 2016, about 1.2 million candidates wrote the test. It was the same in 2015 and that is why we have projected this year for 1.5 million candidates.
This year, the registration period was reduced from six months to one month. But despite the short registration deadline and the capture of 10 fingers, we have received 1.7 million candidates.
This shows the effectiveness of our processes. It also shows that if you have a setback, you should not resign. “We have set up everything to ensure the success of the investigation.
We have the ability to accommodate 1.7 million candidates. In 2016, we used 510 computer-based centers, including six foreign centers for 1.2 million candidates.
This year, we are using 633 centers. There is an increase of more than 100 centers to look after the additional candidates. ”
Benjamin also noted that less than 10% of the registered candidates for the Mock exam sat on Saturday, April 29, adding that the results had been released to the candidates.
Get more news about JAMB 2017 here.